The Best Way To How To Start A Blog For Free? A question every beginner blogger wants to know. Let’s be real if you plan of creating a business from your blog I wouldn’t recommend using a free blog platform. However, We’ve been there you’re just starting out and simply don’t have the cash flow to spend on a domain, web hosting and all the paid tools you have to invest in when starting a blog. If you want to learn how to start a blog for free in South Africa or globally I’ll be sharing what you need.
But can you start a blog for free?
Sure you can. The real question is, can you start a blog for free and make money? Well, you may be able to make some money blogging if you create a free blog, but there is a huge limit. Like with every other business, what you invest is what you get, you either buy success with your time or with your money.
Finding the right blogging platform. The first thing when you wanting to create a blog for free is finding the right free blog platform. There are three main platforms to choose from. Do keep in mind that free blogging platforms have many limitations. They are a great start if you want to test the waters.
There’s a big difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. The free platform is WordPress.com. And if you decided later on that you want to stick with blogging long-term to build a successful blogging business then you’d need to move over to WordPress.org and pay for hosting.
Blogger is hands down one of the most popular platforms used to test drive blogging. It’s also one of the first free platforms that most people knew about. To be honest, the interface is a bit outdated. But as a free option, it works. It allows you to see what it’s like to write and publish a blog post.
Wix is the only platform I haven’t used before. I found it to be super user-friendly. However, Wix does have a free plan for blogging beginners.It’s a great free platform to test drive things.
Now that you know, which blogging platforms are out there to choose from. You need to know what the pros and cons are to creating a free website and whether it’s the right choice for you.
Free Blog Vs Self Hosted Blog, Pros and Cons.
The Pros of Starting a Blog for Free
Pros To A Free Website
- Free – It’s FREE! In this economic climate saving a buck wherever you can is crucial.
- Speed – Most free blog hosting sites are well optimized to run on speed.
- Always available – No dealing with your hosting service which can often have connection downtime. With great hosting, this shouldn’t last more than a few seconds but it never happens with free hosted sites.
- Easy to Use – Many bloggers prefer staying with the free plan due to the ease of use.
Cons To A Free Website
- Longer Branded URL – With free blog hosting sites, you can only use a domain name that is attached to the name of their brand, e.g. www.theblogsocial.blogspot.com instead of www.theblogsocial.com which is one of the downsides with choosing a free website.
- Limited options – Everything from blog design and layout to monetization options are limited. Which means you won’t be able to get that dream blog design goodbye.
- No control – You have no control over everything because you don’t own your domain or hosting. This again is vert limiting to what you can do on your free website.
- Poor brand image – If you plan on making a business from blogging. Having a free blog impacts your brand image.
Let’s dive deeper into which platform you might want to consider.
Bloggers would usually set up their domain using WordPress.org, however, WordPress does offer a free plan too.
- There’s no technical setup needed.
- Easy to use and manage.
- Limited options if you’re wanting to extend your website.
- You don’t own your blog.
- WordPress.com ads and branding for the free plan.
- Limited customisation
Blogger also knows as Blogspot is owned by Google. So you need a Gmail address to signup for a Blogger account.
- Easy to use.
- Secure and reliable.
- A wider variety of free blog templates
- Limitations to customisation and design.
- Outdated backend
- Limited features for SEO improvements.
Wix is the more professional looking option when starting with a free plan.
- Easy to use.
- Professional free blog templates
- Free web hosting
- Built-in analytics tool
- Don’t own your blog.
- Limited features
In Conclusion, the choice is up to you which free blogging platform is the best option for you! If you’re thinking about starting a blog for free I hope these tips has helped to make your decision.